Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. To one portion, add peppermint extract and food coloring. Wrap each portion in plastic; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 14x9-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place plain rectangle over green rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 3, 2019
They had good flavor but dough harder to work with than the peppermint pinwheels - probably the corn syrup. Too much work.
Mar 21, 2011
These cookies taste good, however I should have made the roll longer. The cookies were too large and spread out a lot, which made them too thin. If the roll was smaller and longer I think the cookies would have been a better size. I will try them again.
Mar 16, 2010
The dough was to soft to work with after rolling it out and putting it in the fridge. I put it in the freezer for several hours and it still was to soft. Finally got them rolled out after several attempts. A lot of the dough stuck to the paper. They did not hold their shape when I baked them. They had a good taste, but a lot of trouble.