- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. To one portion, add peppermint extract and food coloring. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place plain rectangle over green rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forHoliday Pinwheels
"These cookies taste good, however I should have made the roll longer. The cookies were too large and spread out a lot, which made them too thin. If the roll was smaller and longer I think the cookies would have been a better size. I will try them again."
"The dough was to soft to work with after rolling it out and putting it in the fridge. I put it in the freezer for several hours and it still was to soft. Finally got them rolled out after several attempts. A lot of the dough stuck to the paper. They did not hold their shape when I baked them. They had a good taste, but a lot of trouble."