Holiday Pickled Shrimp
Holiday entertaining is a breeze when I turn to this special appetizer that can be prepared days in advance. Special spices make it stand out from the usual cold shrimp and cocktail sauce.—Inge Schermerhorn, Kingston, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 2 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small lemons, thinly sliced
- Place shrimp and bay leaves in an 11x7-in. dish. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, capers, celery seed, seasoned salt and pepper sauce; pour over shrimp. Top with onion and lemons (dish will be full). Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Just before serving, drain and discard marinade and discard bay leaves.