We have many pecan trees in this part of the country, so I like to make recipes with the nuts. I usually make these cookies during the holidays. —Chandra Koehn, Rich Hill, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 3 cups finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extract. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and spices; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Add pecans; mix well. Shape into four 15-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 79 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Holiday Peppernuts in Country Extra November 1998