Holiday Peas and Rice
With all the fuss that goes into holiday meals, it's nice to find a side dish like this that's both satisfying and simple. The pimientos and peas nestle among rice delightfully seasoned with sage and chicken broth.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- In a saucepan, saute rice and sage in butter until rice is lightly browned. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add peas; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in pimientos.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 115 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Peas and Rice in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.