With all the fuss that goes into holiday meals, it's nice to find a side dish like this that's both satisfying and simple. The pimientos and peas nestle among rice delightfully seasoned with sage and chicken broth.
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- In a saucepan, saute rice and sage in butter until rice is lightly browned. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add peas; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in pimientos. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Peas and Rice in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p24
Reviews forHoliday Peas and Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 21, 2015
"beautiful side dish which taste great"