My kids love these light, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, and have fun making them. These were always on our Christmas cookie plate when I was a kid, and now the tradition continues. —Susan Marshall, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Recommended: 42 Easy Desserts That Keep Life Simple and Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225°. Beat egg whites with vinegar and salt on medium speed until foamy and doubled in volume. Beat in extracts. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form (this may take 10 minutes).
- Place a 1/2-inch round tip into a pastry bag. Paint five stripes of red food coloring along the length of the pastry bag. Transfer meringue to pastry bag; pipe dollops 1-inch apart onto parchments-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 1 hour until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove and cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from parchment paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Meringue Miniatures in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018