Thirty-five years ago, I gave a friend of mine a platter of my assorted home-baked Christmas cookies. The next day, she brought over slices of this delicious cake, which she made for Hannukah. Naturally, we exchanged recipes and my family and I have been enjoying this moist and flavorful honey cake ever since! I top my cake with a creamy caramel glaze. —Kristine M. Chayes, Smithtown, New York
Recommended: 18 Thanksgiving Cheesecakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/3 cups brewed coffee
- 1-1/3 cups honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger together twice; place in another large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, coffee, honey and oil until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on high speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1-1/2 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; cook until thickened, about 5 minutest.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Honey Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018, pHJ