I was looking for an attractive holiday dish that didn't repeat the red of beets, the orange of yams or the green of broccoli. So I developed this one, featuring the glow of golden hominy.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 5 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) yellow hominy, drained
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, seasoned salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Place hominy in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over hominy. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Originally published as Holiday Hominy in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.