Holiday Green Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 8 cups cut fresh green beans (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in flour, onion and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in beans and cheese until blended.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 12-16 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 144 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Jan 24, 2019
To those of you that found it too bland, just use 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce instead of 1 teaspoon. It will turn out great. I also used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, tastes much better.
Dec 27, 2017
Made this for Christmas dinner and I was a little disappointed. The sauce was bland and the texture was not creamy; just there. I did use the French fried onions on top as others and that added some flavor and crunch. I loved the fresh mushrooms in this so maybe a little tweaking if I make this again.
Dec 7, 2017
So much better than the mushroom soup version! HOWEVER, I used traditional French fried onions for the topping instead of almonds and corn flakes... the best of both worlds :)
Sep 15, 2015
Yum.. I never cared for the greasy fried onions but GBC is always tradition..Thank you for this great recipe.. I wonder if we are related :) Sutton my Fathers decedents came from England, and settled in N.Y. Food and History, what could be better?Blessings
Nov 24, 2014
I HATE green bean casserole and LOVE this. Ten kids...and every single one of them is a fan.Oh, and a suggestion to the lady with the sour cream problem - greek yogurt. This is a Thanksgiving staple at our house....3 years running
Nov 30, 2013
I got rave reviews from all on this dish. I did add some seasoning salt to the creamy mixture to boost the seasoning. I used a bag of fresh cut green beans. I also used the almonds and french fried onions for the topping. I even pre cooked the beans the day before and then assembled and baked the next day. A keeper!
Nov 26, 2013
Nov 28, 2012
I read the reviews before I started cooking and made some adjustments based on them. I added salt to the beans while they were cooking but several people commented it needed more salt. I will add salt to the creamy mushroom mixture next time. I tripled the amount of dried onion and thought it could have used a little more. This recipe was more work than the traditional green bean casserole I've always made, but I liked this one better and besides the salt comments, it got good reviews by my family and in-laws this Thanksgiving.
Nov 12, 2012
What is with people who have not tried the recipe, but gve only one star saying, "We don't do sour cream. We don't like the taste or the fat and calories." You are supposed to rate the recipe after you've made it, NOT the ingredients! duh!
Nov 12, 2012
Very bland version of the traditional green bean casserole. It definitely lack salt and pepper. I cooked my beans in a salted water bath as I normally do and it helped, but the cream base needs help too. I also quadrupled the amount of dried onion and I think it could even use a bit more. Probably not going to work this recipe again. However, the swiss cheese was a nice touch.