Holiday Green Bean Bake
Ham and a blend of seasonings make a plain green been bake spectacular! The recipe has been in my family for more than 30 years. — Frances Whitson, Tiptonville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine the beans and ham; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the soup, cheese, pimientos, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 40 minutes, stirring twice. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Green Bean Bake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005