Holiday Gift Cake
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 jar (8 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Birthday candles, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add 2 cups to batter. Set aside five to six cherries for garnish. Chop the remaining cherries; add to remaining flour mixture with pecans. Fold into batter.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For glaze, combine sugar and milk in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Decorate with reserved cherries and candles if desired.
1 slice: 533 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 13, 2019I have been baking this cake for my birthday for.... well for more years than I would like to remember! With my birthday on 12/26, All of the hustle and bustle of Christmas is done, I love to wake up before anyone else and have a slice of this cake and a nice cup of coffee.
May 31, 2012
I would make this cake again in a heart beat.
I have been making it for at least 39 years and always used Philly cream cheese, well I decided to use a off brand for the cake the last time I made it and in didn't work it rose and then fell and looked like it wasn't cooked but it was. Off brands have stabilizers and I guess that was the problem. Oh forgot to say I used the off brand 2 x's same problem. This AM I made the cake with the Philly, it turn out prefect!