Holiday German Stollen
I traditionally bake three of these flavorful favorites just before Thanksgiving to enjoy on Christmas and New Year's, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup each red candied cherries, candied lemon peel and candied orange peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk and 1-1/2 cups butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Add the almond extract, lemon zest and rum extract if desired. Stir in the almonds, cherries, candied lemon and orange peel and raisins (dough will be slightly sticky).
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15x8-in. oval. Melt remaining butter. Brush each oval with 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar. Fold a long side of oval to within 1/2 in. of the opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets. Curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining melted butter; remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over stollen.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.