Holiday Fruitcake Bars
My family prefers these scrumptious squares to the larger, more traditional fruitcake. Since they're so quick and simple to make, I always include several batches in my annual holiday baking spree.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 120 wafers)
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour butter into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with wafer crumbs. Arrange pecans and fruit over crumbs; press down gently. Combine milk and vanilla; pour evenly over fruit. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruitcake Squares in Country Woman Christmas 1997