Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makes18 servings (about 3/4 cup each)
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional whipped cream and nutmeg, optional
- In a Dutch oven, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Dec 5, 2010
I have been making this recipe for 5 years now. It is the one treat that I look forward to every Christmas. I had toyed with the idea of not making it this year because I have recently become lactose intolerant. My family put up such a fuss, that I reconsidered. Apparently, this has become their favorite treat as well. This is most definitely a crowd pleaser.
Dec 16, 2009
I have been making this eggnog since 1998 when it came out in the Taste of Home book. I have made it every Christmas & everyone just loves it. It is my # one request when I go to Christmas parties.
Dec 15, 2009
Made a mistake, this looks okay. It does not have the raw eggs. But had just watched a video of eggnog and it had raw eggs.
Dec 15, 2009
Did not make it. Eggs look raw to me.
Dec 10, 2009
I wasn't a fan of eggnog but my dad loves it so when I first found this recipe in a Taste of Home recipe collection, I had to try it. To say the least, it was a hit & now if I make nothing else for our family Christmas, I have to bring the eggnog. It's made eggnog lovers out of my whole family.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.