Holiday Cranberry Yeast Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, brown sugar and molasses; let stand for 1 hour. Stir in 1 cup warm water.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the butter, salt, allspice, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and cranberry mixture until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 163 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Holiday Cranberry Yeast Bread
"This is a fantastic bread recipe. If I make it again, I would make a few changes. I think the cranberries are best soaked overnight in the molasses and brown sugar. Also, a 9x5 loaf pan isn't really adequate for the volume. It would work well as a free-form loaf baked on a cookie sheet on parchment. Everyone who tasted it loved it."