Holiday Corn ‘n’ Turkey Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, salt, mustard and pepper; stir into onion mixture until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, broccoli, turkey and cheese. Whisk eggs into onion mixture. Pour over turkey mixture; stir until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 371 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 31, 2013
This is a great alternative to the heavy turkey casseroles (made with pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread.) While the combination of corn & broccoli sounds strange, the while thing really comes together well with flavor, texture and presentation. Slivered almonds with their toasty crunch are truly the finishing touch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.