Holiday Citrus Sweet Potatoes
Change out your traditional sweet potato recipe with this new version. The fruit sauce provides a bright, but not too sweet accent to the sweet potatoes. This side is sure to be enjoyed.—Maureen Akins, Kent, Washington
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 6 large sweet potatoes (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes. Bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes or just until tender. Reduce heat to 350°. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juices. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and brown sugar. Gradually stir in orange juice and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pineapple, oranges and cranberries; heat through.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 306 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 6g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Citrus Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.