Holiday Cheer Sweet Potatoes
Eggnog and rum give mashed sweet potatoes a new taste twist. This truly is an ideal side for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.—Kelli Ritz, Innisfail, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; peel.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes with butter. Add the remaining ingredients; beat until combined.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 264 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Cheer Yams in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011