Holiday Cauliflower Slaw
Flavors, colors and foods of the holiday season are featured in this delicious salad.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and cloves
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, optional
- In a small skillet, cook walnuts in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in the sugar, honey, allspice, cinnamon and cloves. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until sugar is melted and nuts are evenly coated. Cool on waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, caulifloweretes, watercress, radicchio, cranberries and red onion. In a small bowl, whisk the pomegranate juice, vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir in mint if desired. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat.
- Place on a serving platter. Garnish with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 280 calories, 21g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Cauliflower Slaw in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011