Flavors, colors and foods of the holiday season are featured in this delicious salad.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and cloves
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, optional
- In a small skillet, cook walnuts in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in the sugar, honey, allspice, cinnamon and cloves. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until sugar is melted and nuts are evenly coated. Cool on waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, caulifloweretes, watercress, radicchio, cranberries and red onion. In a small bowl, whisk the pomegranate juice, vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir in mint if desired. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat.
- Place on a serving platter. Garnish with walnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Cauliflower Slaw in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p55