- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, sausage, bacon, green pepper, 1 cup cheese and onion. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In another bowl, whisk the biscuit mix, salt, eggs and milk; pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forHoliday Brunch Casserole
"Looks delicious! Great large group casserole."
"Enjoyed this. Followed exactly. Next time I'll do a spicy sausage just to give it a bit more umphf; and I liked the suggestion of salsa on the side. The suggestion to ensure you dry the hash browns is correct. Like someone else said they might try to actually gook them first which might be good since they did sort of disappear (and I like hash browns). 5-10 mins longer cooking is a good idea. I'll do again."
"Is a good recipe. Good to make ahead??"
"This has become a regular holiday breakfast favorite. However, it usually needs at least 50 min cooking time as well as the additional time for it to sit and set - approximately 10 minutes before serving."
"Very good. Pretty easy to put together. Of course, love to prepare the day before. As most said, did have to cook a bit longer that stated. As for the person that complained about having to cook longer and then the top burnt, if top was getting to brown, why did you not just cover with foil to keep from burning? and, as for saying the has browns were slimy, did you get them good and dry before combining them with the other ingredients? And, if you have never cooked before, I am sorry for making it sound like you should know those things. Very tasty, will make again."
"This was not good. Had to cook way longer and then it was burnt on top and still smushy in the middle. The hashbrowns were slimy and gave it a very unappealing texture. Yuck."