Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups halved red and/or green candied cherries, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Cool for 10 minutes. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Fold in 1-1/4 cups cherries and the walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange remaining cherries over top. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2017
I made these for my husband Valentine's Day using only red cherries. He thought they were very flavorful
Jan 10, 2016
These are yummy! I made them to use up the leftover candied cherries from the fruitcake cookies I made for my dad for Christmas. I had less candied cherries than it calls for. I also added about a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The taste reminds me and my family of chocolate sheath cake, because of the cinnamon. It is more time-consuming than you would think, because of the time it takes to melt the chocolate and butter. Next time, I will try chopping the chocolate into smaller pieces. That should help.
Dec 20, 2013
I made these for New Years they were liked by all.