Holiday Biscuit Bubble Ring
My family loves this traditional Christmas treat so much that I like to surprise them with it throughout the year. It does take some time to prepare, but the effort is worth it when I see my family's smiling faces.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped red candied cherries
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Cut cream cheese into 20 pieces. Roll each into a ball; cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 8-10 times.
- Roll out into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Sprinkle 5 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar over dough; set remaining mixture aside.
- Cut dough into twenty 3-in. squares. Place one cream cheese ball in center of each. Fold dough around ball; pinch seams to seal. Roll in 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, cherries and remaining butter; spoon half into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of the remaining cinnamon-sugar. Place 10 balls, seam side up, over topping. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over bread. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 521 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Biscuit Bubble Ring in Best of Country Breads