Holiday Beef Brisket
When I was a child, my mom would make her Holiday Beef Brisket on Jewish holidays and other special occasions. Everyone gathered around the table to enjoy the tender slices of meat alongside nicely browned carrots and potatoes. Those heart-warming meals evoked camaraderie and love for our family.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours + standing
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- Place onions in a greased shallow roasting pan; top with brisket. Combine the ketchup, paprika and garlic powder; spread over brisket. Dissolve bouillon in hot water; pour into pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Cover and bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter; let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with vegetables.