Holiday Baked Alaska
With a gingersnap crust, minty ice cream filling and airy meringue topping, this treat is deliciously different. Chill for a day and bake just before serving.—Carole Halling, Batavia, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 25 cookies)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups peppermint ice cream, softened
- 2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps liqueur
- 5 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1/3 cup. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ice cream, schnapps and reserved crumbs; spoon into crust. Freeze overnight or until firm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of crust.
- Bake at 400° for 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately.