Holiday Apricot Cranberry Bread
I like to make this bread for the holidays. It's moist, delicious and makes a pretty homemade gift.—Beth Goodwin, Overland Park, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a food processor or blender, process cranberries and sugar just until coarsely ground; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and ginger; stir in walnuts and apricots. In another bowl, combine the egg, orange juice, water, butter, orange zest and vanilla; add cranberry mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 185 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Apricot Cranberry Bread in Country Woman November/December 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.