An egg fills the center of each savory serving of this fried bread from Terri Prudhomme of Moorhead, Minnesota. “Shredded wheat gives each slice a nice, crispy texture,” Terri assures. “Enjoy it plain or with syrup.”
- 8 slices bread
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups crushed Shredded Wheat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. With a 3-in. round cookie cutter, cut out a circle in the center of each slice of bread; set circles aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat 4 eggs and milk. On a hot griddle, melt butter. Carefully dip both sides of bread slices in egg mixture, then coat with cereal; place on griddle.
- 3. Break 1 egg into the center of each bread slice. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until bread is lightly browned. Turn and cook until eggs are completely set. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Fry reserved bread circles if desired.
Jan 21, 2013
similar to "Toad-in-a-hole" but much better with the French Toast/syrup taste. Next time we will use thicker "Texas Toast" rather than thin bread. many thks.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC