Hobo Stew with Meatballs
—Margery Bryan, Moses Lake, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-3/4 hours. Stir in peas; cook 15 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 367 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Hobo Meatball Stew in What's for Dinner! Vol. 2
Aug 3, 2013
I ended up tripling this for my large family, and it was too sweet with all those carrots. Next time, I will put some carrots in with the stew, and cook some separately. This is a delicious dish!