Hobo Stew with Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-3/4 hours. Stir in peas; cook 15 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 367 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 3, 2013
I ended up tripling this for my large family, and it was too sweet with all those carrots. Next time, I will put some carrots in with the stew, and cook some separately. This is a delicious dish!