Hobo Meatball Stew Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.
- 2. Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 402 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1324mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hobo Meatball Stew
"How is 1324 mg of sodium considered Low Sodium?"
"Used premade meatballs and 8 oz of tomato sauce rather than ketchup but otherwise followed the recipe. It was good and both my kids ate decent portions qithout complaint. It also came together very quickly so for those reasons alone, it's a keeper. But I would make some changes - maybe add some garlic, a little paprika, and some other spices. Overall, a good recipe."
"The sauce in this is GREAT! If you think it will taste like a beef stew sauce, it won't. The ketchup gives this a slightly sweeter sauce base but it goes great with the meatballs and vegetables. Using frozen or pre-made meatballs make this a quick recipe. The second time we made this, I used a different mix of vegetables - I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, okra and zucchini. I still used the same sauce and meat mixture - still great!"
"I liked this, but the ketchup made it very sweet. Per other reviews, I also doubled the sauce but next time will probably use an 8oz can of tomato sauce instead."
"We really liked this; however, it didn't have much liquid after cooking. I would try doubling the ketchup, water, vinegar and basil next time."
"I have made this stew several times so far. Very good, yet so easy to make."
"potatoes need to cook longer"
"I thought the ketchup and vinegar was a bit overpowering with too much tomato flavor. I just couldn't taste any of the flavors from the ground meat and vegetables. I modified the recipe to use beef broth, consume tomato sauce and brown gravy mix instead of the the vinegar and ketchup. What a difference:)"
"I have made this stew MANY times.My family really likes it.The only thing I change is to double the sauce."
"it was very good !!!"