Himmel Futter Torte
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light. Add shortening and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts; add to bowl and mix well. Spread in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Break torte into small pieces and arrange on a serving plate. Just before serving, place fruit on top and cover with whipped cream. Fruit can be varied by season.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 342 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 6, 2014
This is an awesome-funny sounding title for a dessert. "Himmel Futter Torte". No one believed me that this was the true name for this until they googled it. I was crunched on time, so I used cut up pound cake and it was a hit.
Dec 28, 2012
At family reunions this the first dessert to go!