Hickory Barbecued Salmon with Tartar Sauce
Linda Chevalier BATTLE GROUND, WASHINGTON Guests of all ages love this succulent seafood dish. The idea to use hickory chips came from my dad. He always prepared his salmon this way.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 salmon fillet (3 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 cups soaked hickory chips
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Drizzle 2 tablespoons butter mixture over salmon; top with lemon slices. Set aside remaining butter mixture for basting.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Place salmon skin side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully spoon some reserved butter mixture over salmon. Cover and grill 15-20 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with salmon.