This simple side dish is made extra-special with the addition of bacon, two kinds of cheese and seasonings. My bumper crop of zucchini disappears quickly when this is the featured fare.—Diana Nutter, Mount Dora, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 to 5 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute onion, celery and garlic in drippings until tender. add tomatoes, zucchini, parsley and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with cheeses and bacon. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 170 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Zucchini in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.