Herbed Yeast Bread
One year I gave away these savory loaves instead of sweet treats. Our friends so enjoyed the change of pace that they were disappointed when they didn't receive this bread the next year. I haven't let them down since!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup water. Add butter, eggs, sugar, milk powder, salt and remaining water; mix well. Beat in 8 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Combine herb butter ingredients; brush over circles. Fold in half with buttered sides out. Place circles with folded edge down in five greased 8-cup fluted tube pans or 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 91 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Yeast Bread in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.