Herbed Wheat Muffins
Shirley Glaab's perfectly seasoned muffins are just the thing for scooping up that last drop of soup or stew. They're also great with a cup of tea in the afternoon, writes Shirley from Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the egg, buttermilk, honey and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in basil and tarragon.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.