- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- CREAMED BEEF:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (4 ounces) shredded dried beef
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Combine the first three ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, beat milk, butter, egg yolks, parsley, onion, sage and thyme. Gradually add dry ingredients; mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Whisk in milk and thyme; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Add the beef and heat through. Serve over waffles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 waffles (6 inches).
Reviews forHerbed Waffles with Creamed Beef
"Had a jar of dried beef and a craving for a simple supper from childhood. This gravy was just the thing, except I added 2 hard-boiled eggs because that's how my mom used to make it. Great meal!(I used my own waffle recipe because I didn't want to whip egg whites.)"