Herbed Vegetable Squares
Flavorful veggies form the foundation for this side dish that I like to serve with beef and chicken. You could use this as an appetizer, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute spinach in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, beans, onion, water, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, add eggs; gradually stir in 1-1/2 cups hot vegetable mixture. Return all to pan and mix well. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish; fill the larger dish with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 110 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Vegetable Squares in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.