Herbed Turkey with Citrus Dressing
This tasty turkey recipe is a spin on traditional herb flavors. The citrus hints refresh your taste buds!—Susan Voigt, Plymouth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried juniper berries, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the stuffing cubes, carrot, orange juice, zest and the celery mixture.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Pat turkey dry. Place the salt, marjoram, thyme, juniper berries if desired, peppercorns and aniseed in a small food processor; cover and process until blended.
- With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub half of the butter under the skin. Sprinkle skin with salt mixture. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Originally published as Dry-Cured Rosemary Turkey in Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.