Herbed Tomato Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds) and 1/2 cup spread
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- GARLIC CHIVE SPREAD:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In bread machine pan, place the first 12 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). In a bowl, combine spread ingredients. Serve with bread.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 166 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 15, 2017
I switched out a few things: I added fresh chopped onion, fresh basil and chopped sun dried tomatoes!!! I was out of fresh parsley and dried tarragon. There wasn't a crumb left!!!
Apr 20, 2015
Mulanw that sounds like a yeast issue. Make sure your yeast is fresh and active, try heating the milk / water to a bit warmer temp. Closer to 100 degrees.
Apr 19, 2015
I tried two times with this recipe, but failed two times, It didn't rise to full size as my other breads, and the top is very rough and uneven. My machine PANASONIC SD-YD250. Any suggestions?
Apr 3, 2011
This bread was absolutely delicious! I'm a bit of a basil lover, so I switched out 1 of the tablespoons of parsley for chopped basil, and I'm more of a thyme and oregano than tarragon person, so I switched there as well, and this was *wonderful*.It toasts beautifully, and went perfectly with a roasted tomato and pesto cheese spread! I would definitely make this again, and in fact just gave the recipe to a friend.