Herbed Tomato Bisque
This would be great to chase away the chill on a stormy night. This creamy tomato soup has a hint of sweetness from honey and great herb flavor.—Dawn Richard, Princeton, Minnesota,
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, dill and oregano until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, honey, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in cream; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 850mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Bisque Soup Ala Josh in Recipe Card Collection Fall 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.