Herbed Swirl Bread
This yeast bread is so pretty, with a swirl of herbs in each slice! It's great with soups or stews or toasted and served with reduced-fat margarine. Try it with whatever herbs are growing in your garden. —Laura Dennison of Pensacola, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil and oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whole wheat flour, salt and remaining water; beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the onions, herbs and pepper in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each piece into a 14x9-in. rectangle. Brush with some of the egg; refrigerate rest of egg. Spread herb mixture over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with reserved egg. Bake at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 134 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Herbed Swirl Bread in Light & Tasty June/July 2003