Herbed Standing Rib Roast
We're a meat-and-potatoes family, so this roast is right up our alley. It really is the highlight of an elegant dinner for special guests. Leftovers are great for sandwiches, too.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- Assorted herbs and fruit, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients; rub over roast. Place onions, carrots and celery in a large roasting pan; place roast over vegetables.
- Bake, uncovered, 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for au jus, strain and discard vegetables. Pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add wine to roasting pan, stirring to remove any browned bits. Stir in drippings; heat through. Serve with roast. Garnish platter with herbs and fruit if desired.
Dec 26, 2013
We made this for Christmas dinner and it turned out just perfect. We did add some beef broth as there was not enough liquid from the meat. We would use this recipe again.