Herbed Spinach Bake Recipe
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1. Cook spinach according to package directions; drain well, squeezing out excess liquid. Combine spinach with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes more or until set. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece: 131 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Spinach Bake
"I cut the recipe in half and made this as a main dish for a meatless meal for my husband and me. I decided to leave out the salt like the previous reviewer mentioned but we both agreed that it really needed that salt. Next time I won't be leaving that out. I also didn't actually taste much of the Worcestershire sauce, so I may increase that next time. I think the amount of cheese needs to be increased. Lastly, this took FOREVER to cook. My oven tends to run hot, but this still took around 40 minutes total to fully set. The spinach was definitely pretty dry, so I don't think it was because of excess moisture. Despite all of this we both found it quite tasty. It just needs some tweaks. I'd try this again."
"This was so easy to make and tastes great. I actually didn't have any rice so I just substituted cooked quinoa and it worked out just fine. Also, the next time I make it I will reduce or omit the salt altogether. I think that the cheddar the worchestershire sauce gives the dish plenty of salty flavor."
"This was FANTASTIC! My next go with it I will be adding mushrooms."
"I've been making 1/2 a recipe of this for years. I cook 1/2 cup of raw rice first , add 1 box of chopped spinach, thawed and lightly cooked, and etc. and bake in a 8x8 pan. It can be microwaved until done, but tastes better IMO in the oven. In the summer I will microwave it for 10 min on 50% or so, until the eggs are set.The more minced onion and cheese added the better!"
"I used 2% milk and 2% milk cheddar cheese and brown rice and egg beaters."