"I've made these well-seasoned kabobs many times, even over an open fire," says Sharon Downs of Williston, Vermont. "They attracted the neighboring campers."
Recommended: 30 Seafood Recipes for Christmas Gatherings
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1 each large green and sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Divide marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add the shrimp and scallops to one; place vegetables in the other bag. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Drain shrimp and scallops; discard marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate the shrimp, scallops, peppers and squash. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and basting occasionally. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Seafood Skewers in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p53