Herbed Sausage & Tomato Pasta Sauce
I believe in the wisdom of using a wine that you'd be happy to drink for cooking, rather than an inferior one. I use a Chianti for this sausage and herb sauce.—Jennifer Storment, Belgrade, Montana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup dry red wine, divided
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons each Italian seasoning and dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram and rosemary, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook pork sausage, Italian sausage and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add 2 tablespoons wine to Dutch oven, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, bouillon, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, bay leaves and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in remaining wine; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves; serve sauce with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without pasta): 297 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1274mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Sausage & Tomato Wine Sauce in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.