"I use the dough setting on my bread machine to make these nicely seasoned buns," relates Patty Thompson of Jefferson, Iowa. "We use them for burgers and sandwiches."
Recommended: 32 Lunches To Spice Up Your Workday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In bread machine pan, place the first 12 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; add to bread machine pan. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 10 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 buns.
Originally published as Herbed Sandwich Buns in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p21