Herbed Roast Beef with Horseradish Sauce
This is a great recipe to serve guests, and it can be easily doubled for a larger group.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, savory and thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Trim and tie roast if desired. In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, crushed rosemary, basil, marjoram, savory, thyme and sage; rub over roast. Place fat side up in a roasting pan. Top with onion and rosemary sprigs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Discard onion and rosemary. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with beef.
Originally published as Herbed Roast Beef in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips