VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, savory and thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Trim and tie roast if desired. In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, crushed rosemary, basil, marjoram, savory, thyme and sage; rub over roast. Place fat side up in a roasting pan. Top with onion and rosemary sprigs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Discard onion and rosemary. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with beef. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Roast Beef in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p82