Herbed Rice Mix
For Christmas gifts, Emily Chaney of Penobscot, Maine fills pint-size plastic zipper bags with her savory blend. "I include the cooking directions on a holly label," she says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes1 serving per batch
- 1 package (3 pounds) long grain rice
- 2 cups dried celery flakes
- 2/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 3 to 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 40 batches (10 cups total).
- To prepare one serving of rice: In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add 1/4 cup rice mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Editor's Note: To prepare more than 1 serving, multiply the rice mix, water and butter by the total number of desired servings and cook as directed.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 130 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Herbed Rice Mix in Taste of Home December/January 1998