Herbed Potato Dumplings
I like to think of myself as a "recipe tinkerer". It's fun to take a recipe, add ingredients (like shredded potato to a traditional dumpling) and make the final result my very own. -Shawn Asiala, Boca Raton, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups finely shredded uncooked potatoes
- Additional all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients. Stir in potatoes. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; dust with flour.
- Drop dumplings on top of simmering soup or stew of your choice. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 143 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings in Taste of Home September/October 2013
Sep 5, 2013
For those with gluten sensitivies, I changed exchanged the bread crumbs for GF bread crumbs and used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking flour for the flour.
Aug 29, 2013